11.05.2004

The Boob List

I love breastfeeding. I love the fact that my son can get all of the nutrients he needs during the first 4-6 months of his life solely from my breastmilk. I love the amazing ability my body has to produce this liquid gold.

However...as with every thing of beauty, there is also a consequence to be paid. I'm in a list sort of mood right now, folks, so here is a list of some of the things I miss because I am breastfeeding:

1. Eating as much seafood as I want. I love seafood. Love it. Could eat it everyday. Twice a day. I'm not kidding. Shrimp is my favorite. Oh wait - lobster is pretty fantastic as well. So are scallops. Anyway, it hasn't been too hard to keep to eating less than 12 ounces of seafood per week, but I miss not having to wonder as I prepare to order: have I already eaten about 12 ounces this week or not? (sigh) Seafood pasta is my favorite.

2. Wearing any top that I want to without having to worry about whether or not it would work with a nursing bra and also be pump-friendly. When you are breastfeeding, you have to think about accessibility: the baby's easy access to the boob. You also have to think about the type of material and style the top is, because anything too thin or too low won't work with a nursing bra. If anyone knows of a great strapless bra that is wireless, please let me know!

3. Drinking whenever. This also hasn't been too hard to work around; usually if I have a glass of wine or a beer I just wait until the little guy is asleep for the night and I know he won't nurse again until the morning. However, it would be nice to be out with friends and not have to think about whether or not I'd need to nurse within the next two hours.

4. Eating whatever I want. Similar to the seafood but less of a pain is the fact that you can't just eat whatever you want, regardless of whether or not it's considered safe to eat while nursing. Buddy Boo gets fussy/gassy if I have too much dairy (thank God I was able to reintroduce at least some dairy back into my diet) or too much citrus (my one glass of o.j. in the morning seems to be okay).

5. Not having leaking/engorged/cracked/bleeding/itchy boobs. Sorry, but you breastfeed, and all of these are possible. Fun, fun.

All in all, I am glad I made the choice to breastfeed Buddy Boo. Every once in a while, though, I do miss the days when my boobs were just...well, my boobs.

1 comments:

Heather L said...

Dear Mommy M-

As flu and cold season approach, I have to say that one of the loveliest things about no longer breast feeding is getting to have all your favorite MEDICATION/DRUGS. This may sounds silly, but really, there were days when I ached and felt awful, and just a few magic pills would have made those woes go away. . . .but not to a breast feeding mommy. And so, I must say that the not having to worry about what medications are getting into my breast milk and baby is really a relief.

Now, if I have I have a headache, I take tylenol. When my nose gets stuffy, I reach for my favorite cold medicine. It has been a long stretch, with pregnancy and breast feeding, of not having access to the modern medication miracles.

Lots of Love and Support to Mommy M
Heather

Stumble It!