12.19.2004

Ah, but to dream...

As a new mom, I sometimes fall into that blissful odd world between beautiful reality and utopic possibility. Before, my husband and I would dream and plan and discuss all of these great ideas we had for the future. Now, we still do that, but the focus has shifted to tempering our far out dreams with our child's needs and a more realistic timeline.

I like to think my husband and I are both optimists, rather than dreamers. We dream big and then figure out how to logically make things work. Right now I feel like we have many big dreams that will take longer to accomplish because we have a child, and that's ok. It's testing our planning skills, and I think this is part of what helps people mature more after having children.

I also tend to also believe that following one's instincts is what allows us to live the lives we were meant to live. Go with your gut, and you can't go wrong. So far, this has worked out well for me. My best moves have been impulsive instinct and not practical-based: moving across country to attend a college (and a coast) I'd never visited, moving to cities without a job in place, deciding to drive down one more street and finding our house the day before it was listed. Sometimes, you just know that things will work out. You just feel like everything is going to be fine, even though the details aren't worked out.

A rambling blog today, I know, but my mind lately has been full of rambling dreams. Dreams that have not yet hit that "yes, this is right, now is the time" instinctive moment yet. For instance, I am now trying to decide what I want to be when I grow up. My career path has been impulsive and yet calculated at the same time. With Boo in my life, I feel for some reason as if this is a good time to try something new, to follow old dreams.

So my random dream logs have been this:
-research medical school, look into becoming a pediatrician; or
-apply for MFA writing programs; or
-plan a launch party for www.eventbliss.com (you can go to the site, however there's nothing but a cheesy Yahoo placeholder right now); and
-sign up for hip hop dance classes (KM-we have to do this), French classes, German classes, Italian classes, glass blowing classes, accessory design classes;
-spearhead a new working moms group in the city;
-take up painting again;
-teach Boo sign language (I think he's starting to get the sign for "more");
-go away to the beach with my husband, Boo and the dogs for a long weekend;
-go up to the mountain with the girls from work and go snowboarding (uh, it's been about four years since I've gone snowboarding);
-write a book;
-publish a book of poetry;
-begin my home decorating/professional organizing/easy entertaining/special occasion event planning empire;
-spend the holidays in Europe one year;
-send my husband to the wine-making/brewmaster vacation he's talked about;
-with my husband, run a political campaign for a candidate we believe in;
-buy a bigger house (although that would mean we'd have to move out of the city);
-enroll Boo in one of the language immersion schools (French most likely);
-buy a beach house.

A dream is a start. But which dream do you start with?

2 comments:

betty said...

I enjoyed reading your dream log! I think it's important for everyone to have dreams whether they are considered practical or impractical ones. I have a pretty eclectic list drawn up for myself too. One of the things on my list is to become fluent in Spanish. I took 5 years of Spanish, but because I don't use it regularly, I've forgotten a lot. Right now, I'm trying to read a little bit of Spanish every day (via blogs) to see if I can pick it up again.

Stumble It!
Mama M said...

Thanks Betty! I too, took 5 years of Spanish and today can only go so far as "Hola! Como esta? Muy Bien! E tu?" How quickly language leaves us when we do not use it everyday!

Stumble It!