1.17.2005

Talk Politics

I know some people may be tired of my talking politics. It's not appropriate conversation for work, the dinner table, or the first time meeting the in-laws (luckily my in-laws seem to enjoy talking politics which is great). Ba-hooey, I say. Yes, I said Ba-hooey. My random word of the day for baloney. Bullshit. Politics is everything. It affects who we are, who we become, what we eat, how we spend our money, how much money we have, where we sleep, what we can and cannot do... If we cannot talk about politics, then I say we shouldn't talk at all. Ok, maybe I don't agree with talking politics at work, but that's just because there are legal ramifications involved. To me, talking politics is an important part of child-rearing, an important part of being a family, an important part of being a good citizen.

Idiot's Inauguration Day is Thursday. Everyone under the sun with any brains whatsoever is calling for a retreat from the pompous arrogant billion dollar planned inaugural display out of respect for all the world has had to endure this past year. These past four years, for those of us living in the US. 2004 was a doozy on Planet Earth. The Iraq War. Florida Hurricanes. Asian Tsunami. Mid-West Wild Weather. California Mudslides. Scott Peterson, Michael Jackson, Martha Stewart. Dubya's re-election. Death, destruction, and utter absurdity. These are reasons to celebrate Dubya's inauguration?

FDR opted out of the parades for his inauguration as the world was in the midst of WWII. We're in the midst of the For No Good Reason War as well as Mother Nature's Pissed As All Hell global warming trend (If Idiot's administration needs further proof of the damaging effects of global warming, then they really are all idiots; and if they aren't doing anything about it because they don't care, then they really are the true Axis of Evil). The country needs to heal, and we need our politicians to actually deal. Deal with the issues. Heal this country. Get off your arrogant whiny unintelligent mother f*&#in rich ass and actually do something for the people, instead of for your administration and your daddy's friends. Make decisions for those of us who do not make more than $500,000 a year. For those of us who have lost loved ones in a war they didn't even understand. For those of us who are struggling to make ends meet, struggling to find jobs in this still horrible economy, those of us living every day for our families.

Screw it - I'm talking politics at the dinner table with Boo. I'm taking him to the rallies. I'm bringing him to lectures and we're going to discuss politics because it is one of the most important conversations we can have as a family. Maybe he'll grow up to disagree with my views and my husband's views, but I hope he grows up having views. Strong views. Views that aren't based on petty details and soundbite half-truths, but on research and his own quest for the truth. Views that are also flexible enough to change as he grows, that aren't tied to just a party but rather to his own heart, his own conscience.

I guess I sound pretty pissed off. I don't really know why I am so passionate about this issue today. I had a great day, which maybe I'll write about in another blog later. But regardless of what your views are, I encourage you all to talk politics. With your kids, your S.O., your friends, your family, your pets, your politicians.

Oh, and on another great mom blog, I saw a great idea on how to make your voice heard this Thursday: http://theothermother.typepad.com/

Since our religious leaders will not speak out against the war in Iraq and since our political leaders don't have the moral courage to oppose the war, Inauguration Day, Thursday, January 20th, 2005 is "Not One Damn Dime Day" in America.

On "Not One Damn Dime Day" those who oppose what is happening in our name in Iraq can speak up with a 24-hour national boycott of all forms of consumer spending. During "Not One Damn Dime Day" please don't spend money. Not one damn dime for gasoline. Not one damn dime for necessities or for impulse purchases. Not one damn dime for anything for 24 hours.

"Not One Damn Dime Day" is about supporting the troops. Now 1,200 brave young Americans and (some estimate) 100,000 Iraqis have died. The politicians owe our troops a plan - a way to come home. There's no rally to attend. No marching to do. No left or right wing agenda to rant about. On "Not One Damn Dime Day" you take action by doing nothing.

You open your mouth by keeping your wallet closed. For 24 hours, nothing gets spent, not one damn dime, to remind our religious leaders and our politicians of their moral responsibility to end the war in Iraq and give America back to the people.

Please share this email with as many people as possible. Commercial speech must not be the only free speech in America!


I borrowed this from her blog, which is awesome to read too, by the way, if you click the link above. Hope she doesn't mind! I thought it was most excellent and needed to be shared.

1 comments:

bayou_boy504 said...

Thanks for the info. I'll keep my wallet shut.

Stumble It!