8.20.2005

Childfree Friends article & when is the right time to have children?

I was interviewed a couple of months back for an iParenting.com article about how to keep your friendships with childfree friends healthy. While I don't always follow my own advice, here is the link to the article anyway: To Parent or Not to Parent: Remaining Friends with a Childfree Couple.

I have many friends who do not have children. Some are simply waiting for a few years, others are longing to have them and in the process of TTC, and a small few never want children (pal E got her tubes tied just before her 30th birthday - she really doesn't want kids). It is interesting how each of these friendships, while all important to me in some fashion, is different.

It is also interesting how most people I know seem to want to have children later in life. Boo was born when I was 30. My other friends have had their first offspring at 29, 30, 31, 33, 37, 38 and 40. There are a ton of articles about the differences in having children in your twenties, thirties and forties. For me, 30 was the right time. My husband and I had been together for over 10 years, my career was going well and so was his, we had a house (albeit a small one - too small, as we now know) and I got my twenties out of my system.

When is the best time in one's life to have children?

2 comments:

Cosmo GRRL! said...

The right time? The right time is when you're mature enough to put someone elses's life before your own.

Stumble It!
~Cathy~ said...

We tried for three years to have a child.... I guess someone else knew our "right" time better than we did! :)

Stumble It!