8.22.2005

Compliment or Insult?

Someone knocked on our door. I was expecting my pal ML and her adorable daughter but instead found a red-haired, 5'9" or so, freckle faced boy in perhaps the 14-16 age range standing before me.

Him: Is your mom or dad home?
Me, dumbfounded: Excuse me?
Him: Is your mom or dad home? I just need to talk to someone over the age of 18.
Me, dumbfounded even more: I am over 18.
Him: Oh, ok... blah blah blah

He proceeds to go into some spiel about how his mom told him it would be better to go door to door about some random thing - I honestly have no clue what he was rambling about because a) his spiel was way too cheesy canned and LONG (note to his mom: you were WRONG. He should not have gone door-to-door and annoyed/scared the neighbors) and b) WTF? "I just need to talk to someone over the age of 18"?!?!?!?! Hello?!

Now I don't think I look super young, and definitely not in the under 18 category. I am 31 and quite happy being this age, with my eye wrinkles and aged hands and other 31-year-old traits. I definitely do not dress in that age category. Did he not even look at me before he asked me if my mom was home?

Should I be flattered or insulted? I go between the two. Meanwhile, after a while of his rambling, this kid started to freak me out. I really started to wonder if he was up to no good, and that's when I politely let him know I had guests coming over and bid him farewell.

3 comments:

Kirsten said...

Freaky! I know that I feel totally uncomfortable when random folks show up to sell things at my house! Yuck!

Stumble It!
Laura GF said...

This is just so weird. Who would advise their child to take this approach? What a world...

Thanks for your great comment on my site -- I wanted to email you back about it but could not find an address. I loved seeing you back again!

Stumble It!
Sydney said...

If that happened when you were my age you'd be running for a video camera and a witness.

Stumble It!