8.18.2005

Random mom ramblings on an eerily silent Thursday

Today is wacked. My son woke up an hour later than normal, which has thrown our whole morning off. He is still wide awake, sans his normal morning nap, playing as if he already took his nap. No fussing, no whining. Hmm...I have to wonder when the tantrum will begin. Nothing I have done has helped him nap and I'm not going to spend all day trying if he just doesn't seem interested. As a side note, I really really hate all of the stupid articles and books that dispense advice on babies and toddlers need for sleep. None of them have ever helped me - they just made me feel more inadequate, and quite frankly, I can make myself feel that way just fine on my own, thank you.

We were supposed to go to the zoo and meet up with a girlfriend and her 22 month old, but I got a voice mail that her daughter was up all night with the stomach flu. That sucks. Poor girl. Then another pal called and turns out she is going to the zoo too to meet another friend, but she was going right when I was in the thick of trying to get Boo to nap. So the zoo is not in our cards today

Maybe we're just lucky, but Boo has never been sick. He had a small cold last fall, but that's it. And we're not total germaphobes either, but one wise mama pointed out that it's probably the parents who are germaphobes who have sick kids because their bodies never get the chance to build up their immune systems.

Right now, Boo is carrying my big red laptop bag out of my office and into the living room. His first purse. How cute. Is he going to nap this morning? I'll try again in a bit.

In the meantime, more rambling...it's a quiet morning in the city and in the burbs. Very odd. The sun is just now starting to come out, and I'm looking forward to a cooler day since the heat is supposed to come back full force this weekend.

Back to the purse...if my son turned out to be gay, I honestly think I would have no problem with it. I was reading someone's blog about this issue and I wish I could remember which blog it was so I could link to it, but she wrote that (I'm paraphrasing here) she would still love him, but she would be uncomfortable seeing her child and significant other show affection toward each other, she would be sad for the unborn children, and some other things (sorry-can't find the blog to do her justice). It was very heartfelt. Yet I am the opposite. I would be fine if my child was gay. He's still my son, I still love him and I want him to be so utterly in love he's bursting with happiness and if that involves him kissing another man in front of me, so be it. They can always adopt. There are SO many beautiful children who need to be adopted by loving parents. I fully believe in the power of love, in all shapes and sizes, and all I want is for him to find the kind of happiness that his father and I have found with each other.

Took a short break to try to get Boo to nap again... So gas prices. What the hell? Why are they so damn high? I could go off politically here but am not feeling the energy it would take so I'll move on...

Last night we had our friend A.L. over for dinner. I made my corn and crab chowder. I love that soup. I woke up wanting to make it since it was cooler yesterday morning too. Still hit mid-80s yesterday but it was cooler than it had been and soup was what I was craving.

I have to work on my press stuff soon. Right after I get Boo to nap... argh.

10 comments:

Indigo said...

Good luck with that nap. It's the worst when kids don't nap.

Stumble It!
Melody said...

Nap time seems like it is slowly disappearing in this household and my daughter is just under 12 months!!! What's going on? She only naps once a day for anywhere between 30 to 90 minutes.

I am here via Michele today, and bad luck about the zoo trip BTW. Maybe another day hey? Can we come?

Stumble It!
Mama M said...

Thanks - he did eventually take two short naps later. Whew!

Stumble It!
Bernadette said...

No zoo for Boo?
Say it's not true!

What a lovely life you lead. I read on down your blog and admire your writing and your thinking! Boo and your husband are lucky men, indeed!

Are we neighbors?

Stumble It!
betty said...

Naptimes are battles for us too. He sleeps really well at preschool because all the kids go down for a nap at the same time, but at home, he fights it as hard as he can. Sometimes I just give up, and then we have to pay for it later on when he starts to have major tantrums and meltdowns because of his lack of sleep. ::sigh::

You're lucky that Boo rarely gets sick. My son had plenty of runny noses, and his first daycare provider (who was a 'germaphobe') got into several disagreements over it. She would call me at work to tell me that I had to come pick him because his nose kept running! My first child's daycare provider only expected me to leave her home if she had a fever or was nauseous or obviously sick enough that she should be at home.

Stumble It!
betty said...

Naptimes are battles for us too. He sleeps really well at preschool because all the kids go down for a nap at the same time, but at home, he fights it as hard as he can. Sometimes I just give up, and then we have to pay for it later on when he starts to have major tantrums and meltdowns because of his lack of sleep. ::sigh::

You're lucky that Boo rarely gets sick. My son had plenty of runny noses, and his first daycare provider (who was a 'germaphobe') got into several disagreements over it. She would call me at work to tell me that I had to come pick him because his nose kept running! My first child's daycare provider only expected me to leave her home if she had a fever or was nauseous or obviously sick enough that she should be at home.

Stumble It!
Mama M said...

Bonnie - I believe we are neighbors across the river. Are you in WA?

Betty - thanks for letting me know we're not the only ones with naptime battles from time to time.

Stumble It!
Laura GF said...

Thanks for commenting at my site -- and I'm glad that your comment led me back here! What a great blog. I especially like the point you make about all of the (conflicting, demanding) advice there is about getting a baby to sleep. We based our approach on the No Cry Sleep Solution but had to deviate slightly -- now our almost-six month old is waking just once a night and we are all happier.

I also really appreciate your point about raising a child who is gay. My husband and I agreed before we conceived a child that we would be supportive of our child whatever his/her sexual preference turned out to be (this was very important to me). Like you, I just want my girl to be happy and hopefully find lasting love. I am glad to find others out there with the same perspective! Again, thanks for visiting my site -- I hope you come back sometime.

Stumble It!
Cosmo GRRL! said...

I just learned this week how to get my 2 month old to nap (she'd stopped falling asleep on her own) - and wow! Life is soooooo much better when they get their naps!

Gay - I agree, I just want my little girl to have a loving caring relationship - it can be with whomever, as long as they treat her right :)

Stumble It!
harrybago said...

I think that you and your husband are the kind of people that we need more of in this country. Good for you about the idea of your son maybe being gay. As a lesbian Mom with two kids, I hope that more people come around to your way of thinking...

Stumble It!