2.27.2006

Boy Genius

My husband is convinced that our son is Boy Genius. I think he just does a bunch of super cute things that make us smile. And laugh. Oh how he makes us laugh. Maybe he is a genius trapped in a tiny boy body. What do I know?

The main talent that Boo possesses which makes his proud papa believe he should be awarded the Boy Genius medal is his uncanny ability to hum a tune to perfect pitch. Boo loves to sing all day long. I mean, All Day Long. It's beautiful. He has diversified his singing repertoire from just humming the Twinkle Twinkle Little Star/ABC tune to also adding into the mix: Happy Birthday (which he sang to me a few times on my birthday - aaawww), Wheels on the Bus, Old MacDonald, Frere Jacques/Where is Thumbkin, and another song I always forget until he sings it, in addition to whatever song we are singing/making up. All kids hum and sing, yea yea, but here's the thing: he can hum a tune to perfect pitch after hearing it just once. It's a little freaky. He has the tempo and rythm down, the inflection, the pitch. It's all there, and it happens fast. Is this normal? Please feel free to also make my husband happy and smug and confirm that yes, our 21-month-old child is, in fact, a boy genius.

6 comments:

Cityslicker Mom said...

Don't you just love it when they sing? Yah, sounds like he could just be a genius in the making!

Stumble It!
Nicole said...

My little one loves to sing. But, let's say, while it's beautiful to me, I don't think she's the next American Idol. If your sings in perfect pitch, then he's definitely gifted.

Stumble It!
Stephanie said...

You should definately look into some sort of musical instrument lessons for your son when he is older. It sounds like he is musically inclined. You know, you can start piano lessons as young as five years old!

Stumble It!
Jessie said...

American Idol, here he comes!!!

Love that age, they are soooo cute!!:)

Stumble It!
Bridgermama said...

Totally a "boy genius!" You should put an audio post on your blog!

Stumble It!
Kristen said...

I teach music together and I'm a music prof - sounds like he has a high music aptitude. I wouldn't rush on the music lessons - but I would do some type of kindermusik etc. thing. You could think about Suzuki if you think he has the attention span - they start them early. Email me if you have questions.

Stumble It!