2.20.2006

What's the rush?

Today, my little Boo told me three times that he was going "pee pee." He made that "uh-oh" face and did the funny scrunch-your-knees-together stance. I know that he now knows he's about to go. He knows that he's about to go and that he's supposed to tell me. He has a little potty at home. We go to it when he lets me know at home that he's going and he just sits on it with his clothes and diaper on. At this point, that's all I am ready to do. I think we're taking baby steps with this whole potty training thing. He's 20 months old. Most kids I know these days don't start potty training until they are two and a half and most aren't trained until they're about three or four. We're not supposed to rush them if they're not ready, right? Well, what if I'm not ready? I'm not. He may be, but I'm not.

Unlike the first year of his life, I haven't read any silly books about toddler behavior or development. I delete my Baby Center weekly email updates as soon as they come into my Inbox. I've been going on mama instinct for much of the past year and it's felt really great. This whole potty training thing though...baffles me. I have a theoretic idea of how my husband and I will handle it and teach him, but will it work? There are a lot of other mamas I know that are going through potty training or have just gone through it, so that is very helpful. But now I'm wondering if I should I read up more on the topic. Mama instinct may only take me so far.

Part of it, I know, is that I just can't let go of my baby. I'm having a really hard time saying bye bye baby and hello big kid. I love all of his changes--now is such an exciting time, with him learning new things every minute it seems, with great verbal skills, comprehension skills and growing social skills--but it's all so fast. Too fast. The emotional tug-of-war that goes on within a mother really truly sucks sometimes.

10 comments:

Blog This! said...

I posted something very similiar on my blog a week or so ago now. My son isn't as far along, he doesn't tell me before hand or anything. But, I agree - whats the rush?! Its not like he will be 10 and still in diapers or anything;)

Stumble It!
Zephra said...

I wouldn't bother with the books. It never go the way the books say it will. Potty training is one of the hardest things I have had to do and I dread it when it comes time. If he seems interested just try it. You can always stop and try again later.

Stumble It!
Cityslicker Mom said...

Me too, I always just wanted to use instinct-until I finally ran into a brick wall trying to potty train. I hope your potty training goes easier than mine has!

Stumble It!
deputyswife said...

I am going to offer some advice, if that is okay. I know a lot of moms who had their boys potty trained fully by age 2 1/2. Fully trained. Once they are fully trained, it is bliss. BUT, I also know a lot of moms who started training early and found it was a long drawn out process. For them it was almost two years of ups and downs for pottying. Ugh.

Make sure he is ready. Your gut will tell you so. I am with you on your own instincts.

Stumble It!
Mama M said...

Thanks, Deputy's Wife - I always appreciate your thoughts and I agree. Believe me, we are in NO hurry to have him potty trained so fast! I think he is showing signs of almost-readiness, if that makes sense. We're not quite there yet, but the fact that we're almost there is what makes me think that maybe I should actually start thinking about this potty training stuff...:)

Stumble It!
Bridgermama said...

It is so nice to know that every mom writes the my-baby-is-growing-up-too-fast-post. I honestly thought I was having serious issues because I was terrified this whole baby thing was going a million miles per minute. I just want every day to last twice as long. I guess this is why people have 2? I gotta tell ya, I am so not ready for that. I will just love my guy up for as long as he lets me smooch his chubby cheeks!

Stumble It!
Valerie said...

We are trying to potty train.
I am willing T is not, I say if Boo is showing signs then go for it.

Stumble It!
Nicole said...

I say follow Boo's lead. It worked w/my daughter. She would be interested for awhile, then not interested. Until one day, she basically potty-trained herself.

My son, 19-months, sometimes comes to get me after he goes to change him. Sometimes, he sits on a little potty w/his clothes on, but it's not consistent. I think he's just testing things out.

Good luck! I hope you get as lucky as I did w/my daughter.

Stumble It!
Kirsten said...

you are so sweet. I think I will feel the same way about holding onto my baby. Ethan is such a sweet boy! Still the most delicious cheeks in town!

Stumble It!
J's Mommy said...

Potty training baffles me too. I am terrified of it for some reason. I want my little girl to use the potty but that means she really IS a big girl. Oi!!!!

Stumble It!