4.08.2006

WTF

It's 2:30am and I haven't been able to sleep since 11:30pm, when Boo woke up and got into bed with us. Normally, he gets up, comes to our bed, and I am out (after a few rounds of him kicking me and squeezing my head with his sweet little cuddle/death grip). Tonight, no dice. I'm up. Luckily, I went to bed early and got about an hour of sleep.

There are times when hubby and I wonder if having Boo sleep in our bed for a few hours in the morning (usually he gets up a few hours before we want to wake up) is bad. As in, bad parenting. Should we try to get him to go back to sleep in his own bed? Sometimes we do. It usually works. Lately, though, I just don't give a rat's ass. I want to wake up and see both of my boys all cute and sleepy, snoring away a symphony. The dog sleeps in our room too and snores. Three boys snoring in one room and still I manage to sleep. Is there some sort of medal for being able to do that?

Is it wrong that I just don't care about trying to get him back to sleep in his own bed, no matter what time he wakes up? I was surprised to learn recently that several mamas have the same issue: their toddler gets up in the middle of the night and comes to bed with them. They seem at peace with this, and so should I. Why do I feel that damn mommy guilt, then? Oh, I hate the guilt. Maybe it's the lack of sleep but right now it's pissing me off. I know I'm not hurting him by letting him sleep with us for part of the night. It's not like he'll do this when he's in high school. For now, is it so wrong that I want to cuddle with my kid in a part-time family bed? I know he'll want to stop cuddling soon enough, so I figure I should get all the cuddling in that I can now!

Sleep. It's overrated. Ironically, hubby is usually the one who can't sleep when Boo is in bed with us. Tonight, it's me. I think it's time for some ice cream. Or Ebay. Or Ebay and ice cream.

7 comments:

Callisto said...

Just do what feels right for you and the Boo, bugger the guilt, it's a wasted emotion.

Stumble It!
Awesome Mom said...

I agree, do what feels right for you.

Stumble It!
~Cathy~ said...

I don't see anything wrong with having him in your bed.... like you said, they only cuddle for so long. My girls sometimes will climb into bed with us in the morning. But for some reason, they'll never go back to sleep! So, we usually end up getting up not long after they've arrived!

Stumble It!
jj said...

milo does the same thing. we've been talking about trying to get him to go back to bed in his own bed, but have yet to actually work on it. as crowded as the bed is getting (it's a queen size mattress) with all of plus the cat, i really do love it and will miss him when he does finally sleep in his own bed all night.

Stumble It!
Nicole said...

I cuddle with my little guy every morning when he gets up too early. I think we both look forward to this. You're not hurting anyone, so keep on keeping on.

Stumble It!
deputyswife said...

That issue is a toughie. I have one that will occasionally creep into bed with us. I have another one that comes to our bed nightly. Then another that will not lay on our bed for nothing.

I figure by the time they are in high school it will not be cool to sleep with the parents...

Stumble It!
Mama M said...

i'm so with y'all on forgetting about the guilt. glad to know others have little ones snuggling into bed with them too in the middle of the night. he's just getting to be a kid now and no longer a baby, so i just savor all the snuggles, no matter what time of day or night. thanks everyone!

Stumble It!