5.15.2006

Mother's Day: Feel the Love

My mother's day was lovely and makes me smile and realize how much I love life. This is one of those sappy happy posts so if you are looking for a bitch sesssion, please come back later when I can be more accommodating. I just don't expect much of Mother's Day for me; I still think of it as a day to honor and celebrate my own mom, whom I owe so much to. But this year, I really felt like it was a special day for me too, which was surprisingly a nice feeling.

In the morning we had breakfast with my mom and my brother, his fiance and their 6 month old baby. My poor dad had to work yesterday, and we missed him at breakfast but it was a nice morning. Family time is great, and although they drive me crazy a lot, I feel lucky to be near them. Boo entertained us during the meal and did his usual Long and Loud Goodbye when we left, saying goodbye to each person in the restaurant and then to each of my family members individually on our way to the car - five times each.

After Boo's nap, my husband and I strapped Boo into the jogging stroller and went on the longest walk/jog I think we've done in years. A full hour and a half (we walked/jogged for miles on end) of mostly hills, in the hot sun, finished off with going up the steepest hill I have ever seen in our city. I feel a little freaked just driving up this hill when I do and there I was suddenly walking up the damn mountain. It is my husband's fault, I blame him. I would have been happy going back the way we came, but nooooo he had to be challenged. It was a bit of a dare, and I'm the idiot that fell for it.

Anyway, I felt great after that and it was a good reminder that we need to go back to doing that more often. My husband and I used to run together all the time, and since Boo was born (ok, since I found out I was pregnant with him), he has continued to go running but I keep making excuses as to why I can't or don't have time. My body is telling me I need to get back into it. I hate exercise, but I love and crave that time with my husband, and now with Boo too. He loves the jogging stroller (except as soon as any bit of sun hits his face, he squints away in fake pain and says "too hot! too hot!" He's full of drama, my kid).

I often think that my husband and I are lucky to be able to spend the time together that we do, but yesterday was a good reminder that there is always more time that we can spend as a family. There is always more we can do together, just us three - more we can do to appreciate each other. I didn't realize how much I missed the super long, uninterrupted conversations we'd have together on our jogs, or just how great it felt to explore new places together. So no matter what, I'm going to make time for all three of us to go on long walking/jogging journeys together more often.

Oh, and for my Mother's Day present: a printed photo album of photos of me and Boo from his birth. It is a beautiful book chronicling his growth to now, with the sweetest photos we've taken (and believe me, we've taken at least a couple thousand photos).

I love my husband, and I love being a mom. I really, really do :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww...I like "sappy, happy" posts. Not enough of them around I think!

~Jenny
http://blogs.chron.com/mamadrama/

Stumble It!
Nicole said...

Wow! Your husband is amazing to have put together a photo album for you. I'm impressed.

Glad to hear you felt special on your special day.

Stumble It!
~Cathy~ said...

Sounds like a wonderful day!!

Stumble It!
Hau said...

How about doing the Hood to Coast with us mamas? Nothing like an event such as that to get you back in shape ;-) O.k., I'm madly recruiting to fill two spots.

Stumble It!
J's Mommy said...

Glad to hear you had a great day!

Stumble It!