10.28.2006

Boy or Girl?

We find out in a week, or so we hope. I'm anxious/excited/nervous. Everyone of course asks if we're hoping for one or the other sex. We honestly would be delighted with either, but we have both been feeling it's a girl from the get go. We shall see! I'm a little more nervous about the thought of having a girl. Boys are fun and crazy and wacky and wild and pretty predictable - very straightforward. A little chaotic and tiring to raise one in the beginning (the physical versus emotional differences between girls and boys Boo's age always astound me) but then there's later... when I'm a little more scared of raising a girl through her pre-teen, teenage and college years. It really does seem like the old addage that boys are harder to raise now, easier to raise later, and girls are easier to raise now, but harder to raise later, seems true about 80% of the time.

I've admittedly never been one of those women who has always dreamed of having a daughter, although I know I would absolutely love to raise a daughter as much as I would a son. I'm just a little more apprehensive about my own abilities as well as the other pressures and issues involved with raising a girl to be a strong, independent, confident woman. And then there's the shopping issue: I don't think my wallet or my impulses can withstand the amount of super adorable girl schtuff out there - not the frilly cutesy bows and crap mind you, but all the other soft, sweet, adorable designs for girls. I find we are bad with impulse buying for our son as it is!

All that said, my husband and I still think it's a girl, and we'd be overjoyed if it is. I'm giddy with excitement and am just itching to see this baby inside of me, whether a he or a she.

6 comments:

~Cathy~ said...

Ok... I haven't visited here (or any blogs for that matter!) in awhile! Didn't even know you were pregnant! Congrats! Can't wait to read the update on what you're having! We just had our first little boy, after two girls, three weeks ago!

Stumble It!
deputyswife said...

OMG! I haven't been here in awhile!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I am so happy for you!

Stumble It!
Anonymous said...

As the mother of a 12-year-old girl and a 7-year-old girl, I can say that yes, it gets a little bit tougher as they get older. BUT! It also gets easier. If that makes any sense.
Just stopping by to say hi to another Oregon blogger. :)

Stumble It!
Anonymous said...

On pins and needles over here! Hope you are doing well.
I have to admit, the dresses and dolls and such do cause a lot of spending, but I'll bet it's not different with boys (and doesn't your boy play with dolls too? :)

Stumble It!
Beanhead said...

either way it is going to be a blast!!

Stumble It!
Mama Me said...

Waiting waiting ... can't wait to hear the news about Boo's little sibling!

Stumble It!