6.22.2008

I am Kung Fu Panda: floppy & flabby...but fun!



Fitness is not really my friend. I am truly more Kung Fu Panda than, say, Kelly Ripa or Heidi Klum. I do not enjoy working out. I am allergic to gyms. I dread exercise classes and get anxiety over the thought of any type of exercise in a social setting; the last thing I want to worry about while sweaty and stinky is making witty conversation with other human beings. So why, oh WHY, did I sign up for a cardio kickboxing class? Was I drunk/high/tricked? I have no good excuse. For some reason, I thought it was a GOOD IDEA. Hmmm...old age is apparently making me lose all good judgement.

The one thing I DO like to do is go running. Once in a while. And by that, I mean, maybe a couple of times a month...or a couple of times within a few months. Scheduling exercise seems odd to me. Three times a week? At the same time every day? That's crazy talk. Only crazy people do things like that. Hmm...I am getting older and hence crazier...

Well, here I am, at the start of summer, shorts and swimsuit season, and it's hit me: I want to work out. Wha-wha-WTF? Who said that? Was that MY inner voice? Holy hell it was! I want to eat better and lose these extra inches that I'd love to blame on the babies, except the youngest is now 14 months. I stopped nursing a little over a month ago but forgot to stop eating those extra 500 calories...and they're not exactly leaving my body. I may weigh the same as I did in high school, but that is a BAD thing: my body is most definitely NOT the same! Which means I have lost a lot of muscle and gained the lesser-weight-but-more-fatty-fat-skin fat in its place.

Loverly.

The worst is the muffin top: the horrid "mom" syndrome of a belly and love handles that likes to flop over jeans that aren't even tight. I hate it. My ass isn't the same either. When I went running the other day, I actually FELT these horrid...things...flopping about as I pounded the pavement. Ick. I was so disgusted.

And so, in a moment of weakness, I signed up for a kickboxing class. It starts in less than 2 hours.

Well, shit.

Wish me luck. I've never taken a kickboxing class. What do I wear? I'm weary of it already because it's a class. The anxiety of "what if all the other people in the class end up as friends and go out afterward for post-workout coffee without me?" is already annoying my overactive imagination. But I'm going. I can't take the muffin top and love handles anymore. It's time to reclaim my body.

Deep breath. Here I go...!

2 comments:

Jane @ Kidzarama said...

Let me know how you go with the muffin~top.
I need to get rid of one of those...

Stumble It!
marlynn said...

hi jane! my cardio kickboxing instructor said that one class burns between 600-1000 calories, and i'm hoping all of those calories are taken away from my muffin top! :-)

Stumble It!