6.07.2008

Weaning & Co-Sleeping



It's officially been two weeks since my last nursing session with baby Tickle. At 13.5 months old, we were both done. She was just using me for comforting nibbles, and it was time. I had no goals for nursing with her. With Boo, I wanted to make it to 6 months, and we made it to 8.5 months before he essentially weaned himself before I had to go on a trip to San Fran and couldn't take him with me. It affected me more than it did him. I was in PAIN! This time, the parting was a whisper, where I haven't felt any difference and apparently, neither did Tickle. She's a big girl, and she just loves her sippy cup and drinking out of regular kid cups too.

Part of me is sad. She's our baby, our last baby, and the lovely nursing sessions are done. Another milestone that we won't reach with another kid.

But yesterday at the doctor's office a woman walked in with a crying infant, all chubby and pink and maybe all of two months, and all I could think was: "Cute. Glad we're done with that phase." And so, I know, no big pangs of wanting another from this mama.

As for Boo, we made a deal that when he turned 4 he'd start sleeping in his own bed in his own room again. That's right: ever since Tickle came home from the hospital, Boo has been sleeping with us. And we loved it. Boo is our baby too, and he's getting so big so fast, and we know he's not going to want to snuggle up with us as much anymore as he gets older. I know lots of friends who cosleep for different reasons, one of them being that they work FT and cosleeping allows them to connect more with their kids. While hubby works FT out of the house, I work FT in the house, and it just makes me want to spend as much time snuggling my little babes for as long as I can, for as long as they'll let me.

Boo is four. Last night he slept in his own bed in his own room. I was so proud of him, but also a bit sad. Our kids are growing up, and I just don't want to miss a minute of it. He ended up crawling into our bed halfway through the night, and I was a little happy about it.

(If you are wondering about Tickle, she's been sleeping in her own crib in her own room perfectly happily since she was about five months. She's our independent one).

0 comments: